Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Supportive parents

Helloo Fello Equestrians

Every kid has a dream they want.. whether it be small or big, or within school or in sports. It is hard when as a kid/young teen you have a sports goal in mind and you want to achieve it and your parents aren't exactly supportive about it. That has been my biggest challenge so far... Horseback riding is one of the most expensive and dangerous sports out there... its not like baseball or football or soccer where there is a small ball involved.. we work with 1000lb animals with a mind of there own. My parents agreed to enroll my sister and I in riding lessons about 9ish years ago.. it was all uphill from there, I was hooked from the moment I got on that school horse. My parents were ok with us riding in lessons because there was always supervision the problems came when my dad bought my sister and I a 6 month old appaloosa filly named DeeDee.  Horseback riding is a very expensive sport on a monthly basis it can cost anywhere from $350-$3000+ a month.

one of the first rides on my own horse, i was terrified!
All costs and dangers aside kids in todays day and age should be enrolled in either a school sport or a sport outside of school it keeps kids active and social. Having supportive parents in anything you do is helpful in away that keeps kids motivated to continue trying their best and achieving and setting more goals for them selves. My dad in particular was the one who bought the horse and has been there for me every step of the way. In the beginning he financially supportive my dream and now that im old enough to work I pay for everything. My dad and I would go out to the barn a few days a week and see my horse, because she was only 6 months old at the time there was a lot of training to be done with my horse. Of course we had our ups and our downs, but we spent countless hours working with my mare when she was young to get her the perfect horse for myself and my sister to ride now. I had only been riding for about 2+ years before my dad bought the horse... and knowing nothing about how to train a young horse or much about on the ground work, it all turned out ok. I remember to this day going out to the barn in the winter in -20 degree weather afraid of my horse because she was young and unpredictable but i knew i had to work with her because she needed a lot of ground work, respect and just general training to become the horse she is today. Back when my dad considered buying my horse, my mom immediately said no.. because of the costs and it was considered a "dangerous animal" she didnt want us around the horse at all except in lessons when we would have lots of supervision. In the end my dad made the right decision to buy us an exceptionally well bred appaloosa filly.

My dad and DeeDee in the early days 


Today: May 7th 2012

She is currently 7 years old and broke to ride English, has fantastic bloodlines and I'm planning on continuing her bloodlines by breeding her in a year or so. From all the training back when she was a yearling and up she was fairly easy to train, she had her moments but we got over those and she has been a dream to ride ever since.

these were the days when i was afraid of her..

There were days were i would get no where with her and just would think it was a waste of time and money, many days i cried and wanted to give up riding, training her.. everything to do with horses. Im glad i stuck it out. I now have the chance to grow as a rider,trainer and horse women in general all with the help of the new people at my barn. :)

DeeDee was almost 3 here

Today at 7 years old.



I thank both my parents for being supportive and sticking with my through thick and thin.. good times and the bad, we've pulled through some really rough times with the horse but made it.  I gladly thank them for that. :) 





No comments:

Post a Comment